- Name: Bateman, H J
- Nationality: United Kingdom
- Rank: Private
- Regiment/Service: Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment)
- Unit Text: 6th Bn.
- Date of Death: 25.8.1915
- Service No: G/458
- Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
- Grave/Memorial Reference: I.A.2
- Memorial: Pont-de-Nieppe Communial Cemetery, France
Horace John Bateman son of Thomas James Bateman and Mary Ann (nee Lettington) of 1, Lily Cottages, Westerham Hill. He was born at Cudham in 1895. (He was always known as John.) He would therefore have been aged 20 years when he died from the wounds that he received. His younger brother, Richard David (known as David), also served in the Royal West Kent Regiment but survived. His father and grandfather were both born in Cudham. His mother and youngest sister were still living at Westerham Hill in the 1940's.